In 2000 these awards were sponsored by Filecorp
Most Outstanding Student – Kye O’Donnell
Kye completed his Bachelor of Applied Science (Records Management) at Curtin University of Technology in December 1999 with a grade average of 78.5%. In November 1999 he was awarded the “John Dean Award” for academic excellence in an undergraduate course by the Department of Information Studies at Curtin University and in 1999 was also inducted as a Golden Key National Honour Society Member.
Whilst studying for his degree Kye worked in the records management industry gaining invaluable on the job experience. He is currently working with the City of Perth.
Most Outstanding Individual – Peter Smith
Peter has been working in the records management industry for more years than even he probably wishes to remember, having been actively involved in the RMAA at State level (NSW Branch) since 1970 and at Federal level between 1980-1988.
Having co-authored a book on records management in 1995 and either written or presented numerous articles and papers in Australia, New Zealand, Phillipines, USA and Scotland he has been widely recognised as as authority in the industry.
Peter has an impressive career in records management spanning 30 years which cannot easily be summed up in a few words but which make him a most deserving winner.
Most Outstanding Group – WA Dept – Conservation & Land Management (CALM)
Jenny Moss to collect award on behalf of group
The WA Department for Conservation and Land Management or CALM has recently completed an extensive and diverse records management initiative which incorporated:
- developing a thesaurus
- introducing standard records practices to regional offices (including digital research datasets)
- a metadata collection project
- upgrading their Records Management System
- extending keyword classification to 9 regions
- developing a register of research datasets
- developing a disaster prevention & recovery plan as well as vital records guidelines
- introducing cost recovery models for some retention & disposal activities and for converting individual regions to keyword