1. Records and Information Management Professionals of Australasia (RIM Professionals Australasia) requires its members to observe the highest standards of professional conduct and ethical behavior. This Code of Professional Conduct (the Code) sets out the appropriate standard of professional conduct expected from all Members.
2. The conduct of each individual member reflects upon the records and information management profession and upon RIM Professionals Australasia’s membership as a whole. By maintaining the standards set out in the Code members enhance their own standing as records and information management professionals and increase public confidence in the profession and RIM Professionals Australasia.
3. The Code should be read in conjunction with the RIM Professionals Australasia Statement of Ethical Practice.
4. Members shall:
4.1. Uphold the objectives of RIM Professionals Australasia and abide by its Constitution, By-Laws and policies.
4.2. Adhere to all applicable laws, regulations and common law obligations in their respective jurisdictions.
4.3. Observe the highest standards of professional conduct and ethical behavior (see also the Statement of Ethical Practice) so as to enhance the reputation of RIM Professionals Australasia and the wider records and information management profession.
4.4. Exercise complete probity, honesty and integrity in carrying out their duties and responsibilities.
4.5. Exercise due care and diligence in performing their duties and ensure the currency of their knowledge, skills and technical competencies.
4.6. Safeguard the interests of their employers or clients provided members are not knowingly party to any illegal or unethical activity.
5. Members shall not:
5.1. Undertake any conduct or action in their professional role contrary to the Code or the RIM Professionals Australasia Statement of Ethical Practice, or which may detract from name or image of the RIM Professionals Australasia and the wider recordkeeping and information management profession.
6. Members acknowledge that the Code is to be adhered to both in spirit and to the letter, so that members’ conduct is governed by the highest standards of professionalism and ethical behaviour.
7. RIM Professionals Australasia also requires that all employees meet these high standards.
8. The RIM Professionals Australasia does not place emphasis on enforcement but the Code, in conjunction with the Statement of Ethical Practice, is used to assist RIM Professionals Australasia Board of Directors and CEO to identify dissonant situations or behaviour in accordance with relevant RIM Professionals Australasia By-Laws or policies.
9. RIM Professionals Australasia Board of Directors retains the right to review, rebuke, bar from membership or to expel from the RIM Professionals Australasia any individual or organisation who has been found to be in violation of the Code, through action or intent.
10. This By-Law was approved by RIM Professionals Australasia Board September 2010